In response to a question on why I no longer associate with Avatar I have previously given the following answer which has been edited for clarity purposes.
My process of waking up and leaving Avatar was simply that, “a process”
Unfortunately people who leave Avatar and speak out are sent hate mail by some of the unbalanced few and slapped with a law suit by Stars Edge if they reveal any of the confidential materials so one needs to tread carefully.
There were a few things that built over time for me as warning signs about the group I now consider a Multi- Level Marketing Cult (not a particularly dangerous one compared to some others, but a cult none the less).
1. The regular team of people I worked with (around 20 of them) were a great group when everything was going well and we were either on course together or trying to generate students for the next course. In stark contrast to this if I was struggling in any way not to do directly with Avatar there was zero support. I have had approximately 3 phone calls since I had a health scare and dropped out of the regular Avatar delivery scene a few years ago. I asked myself “If these guys are such a committed team and all want to support others to improve their lives why did only 3 bother to call to see how I was doing? I loved these guys. An explanation for this which I heard offered by a trainer is “If you are trying to save the planet you don’t have time to waste with people who are not moving forward. It’s a better return on your effort to only focus on people who are moving ahead and getting new students and not waste your time with people who could drag you down”.
My Conclusion: If you are not generating students you are not actually contributing to Harry’s EPC and therefore are not worth supporting.
2. I had a close friend who like me was on the path to full-time Avatar and committing to making it their life’s work. I became quietly and secretly horrified when they were considering dumping their partner who was unsupportive. Unsupportive here means:
a)complaining at the amount of time the Master spends giving intro’s and flying away to attend courses
b) complaining that the Master was spending too much of their money on intern fees, airfares and accommodation.
The suggestion from the Stars Edge Trainer (one of several who has a broken family) was “When you show up for your life others are bound to get stirred up because they are not showing up for theirs. Do you want to pursue your dream or be held back by others and go back to sleep?” The number of Avatar Masters that I know of who are delivering full time and who have a stable family I could count on one hand.
My Conclusion: Becoming a committed and aligned Avatar Master means having a job, being a partner, father, mother, etc is all secondary to the cause.
3. I had two female friends who were nice people, quite smart and on to it who suffered psychotic breaks after a course and ended up needing hospitalization. The view within the network is changing around people who have any kind of depression or mental illness. The learning here has been that you need to steer clear of these people if possible as they will probably have some serious emotional instability post course and attack the source of their awakening. The idea that the instability could actually be triggered by the Avatar processes never enters the Masters heads and any students who have these issues are usually not discussed or spoken of at all.
My Conclusion: The Avatar tools are not foolproof when it comes to managing your mental state. I guess Harry’s view is that any failure is the fault of the person using the tools and not applying them correctly. Many people seem to make it through the basic course OK (remember that most people are on the course to handle major life issues) but too many are experiencing harmful effects during the course and afterwards and the number of people requiring hospitalization during the course is too great to ignore anymore.
4. Over time I started to see that any questioning of Harry or a Trainer or a fellow Master was greeted with “What identity are you in?” or “Why are you projecting things onto others?” While I think there is some merit in the idea that what I dislike or react to in others is probably the same things that I don’t like in myself it doesn’t mean that the behavior that triggered it doesn’t also require some attention. I found that any time I spoke up about or challenged the behavior (or integrity) of someone above me in the chain of command that I was automatically assumed to be in an identity and had some integrity work that I needed to do. The problem here for me was not that I needed to do some work on myself or that I needed to take more personal responsibility but that there was never an acknowledgement that the other party possibly had some work to do as well.
When I heard some claims that Harry had ripped people off in his previous role in running a scientology mission I wanted to satisfy myself that the claim was either bogus or had some truth to it. After all you don’t usually get the full picture by hearing only one side of the story. Searching the internet for “dirt” on Harry was seen as a hidden agenda on my part, presumably I had the intention to discredit Harry.
My Conclusion: With great power comes great responsibility and putting someone in a place of unquestionable authority is dangerous. It is a classic ploy of cult leaders and egomaniacs to make any challenge to their authority something that not only is discouraged but also brings some threat to your own well-being. If history is anything to go by Leaders who abuse their power and others often end up with some sort of rebellion to deal with.
5. At Wizards I experienced bizarre adulation and worship of Harry. I also saw the extreme control and manipulation of Trainers and Masters by Avra. Harry is protected from the adoring crowds by staying distant and guru like and Avra encourages every gain that a person makes to be written down on a success card and sent to Harry who reads each one. All appreciation and adoration must flow to Harry.I have seen more encouragement to worship Harry at Wizards than I ever saw encouragement to worship God in a church.
My Conclusion: Wake the hell up Doctor! You are being peddled multi-level enlightenment from a guy who found himself on another planet in another galaxy. You are not part of an episode of Dr Who so for goodness sake pull out and abort mission.
6. The time from my exit to the time when I came firmly to the conclusion that Avatar is the personal moneymaking empire of Harry Palmer and Avra Honey Smith has been years in the making. During this period I have been uneasy and reluctant to speak out. Is my unease part of the prolonged indoctrination I received in the cult?
My Conclusion: For the idealists like me who love to believe in a “cause” and like the idea of living a life serving and sharing with others rather than one of selfish gain, Avatar seemed like a God send at the time. I was suckered by the EPC ideal and for that I feel shame and embarrassment. For the people I got into Avatar who experienced some harm as a result I feel sadness and remorse.
7. After being alerted to the dangers of mind control techniques on one of the cult awareness websites I started to do more research and am now alarmed at the similarity between some of the processes covert hypnotists and conversational hypnotists use and the effects of some of the ReSurfacing exercises.
My Conclusion: When the Attention and Will exercises done in Avatar produce the same shut down of critical thinking and reasoning that Hypnotists use to put unknowing subjects into a highly suggestible state, it would be best not to do that around someone who has the goal of selling you thousands of dollars worth of personal development courses. I believed I was awake and Living Deliberately. Without projecting my problems on Avatar could it be possible that I was cleverly manipulated when I was in a highly suggestible state after applying the Avatar tools? Can I believe that a belief I hold is a deliberate one, when in fact it is just the expression of a previous indoctrination? Scarily I think there are scores of Avatar Masters who are slaves to the indoctrination of Harry, Avra, The Stars Edge Trainers and their QM’s.
As always one needs to be careful not to throw the baby out with the bath water. Some of the techniques and tools in Avatar do create results and many attendees claim lasting change and are better for the experience. However there is growing evidence that some people are harmed and for this reason caution rather than blind faith is advised.